Revisited a dear place. August. The Old meets the New in Vienna. Always a pleasure to return to this wonderful city, with something new to discover.
Vienna Museum Quarter has a new rooftop bar and platform, Libelle MQ, at the top of the Leopold Museum.
Spend a beautiful summer afternoon in the Museum Quarter , with lunch at “Corbaci” at Achitekturzentrum and coffee near “Museum of Modern Art Ludwig Foundation Vienna” or short, MUMOK, near a Litertur pasage under a portico, a new word learned in Bologna.
Other places with a view to be mentioned are Das Loft, in Schwedterplatz and Aurora Rooftop Bar, near Belvedere. Plus the rooftop bar on top of 25Hours Hotel, also in Museum Quarter, with a circus theme, where I stayed years ago.
Walked from Burggarten to Volksgarten, filled with roses and contemporary art at Theseustempel, through Heldenplatz until Hofburg Imperial Palace. So many cultural spaces per square meter! Nearby are Kunsthistorisches Museum, in Maria-Theresien-Platz, and Österreichische Nationalbibliothek, in Josefsplatz.
The Old meets the New in Vienna
Mix & match
- Classic and modern art at Albertina Museums
- Coffee at modern CoffeePirates in the 9th district in Spitalgasse, or classic Café Landtmann near Rathausplatz and traditional Café Schwarzenberg on Ringstraße, recommended even by a Viennese
- Figlmuller for Schnitzel or go for the first time to Donau Insel, to see the sunset by the Danube
- Joseph Brot or very hyped Paremi. Eis Greissler or Gelateria la Romana
- Vintage in Neubau and Josephstadt districts, on Burggasse, or high end in Karnerstrasse, all in Vienna’s beautiful inner city
- Classic Belvedere palace or colorful Hundertwasserhaus in Landstraße
- Taking the tram 1 around the Ringstrasse or walk under a covered gallery
- Next time – explore more of Old Vienna in Franziskanerviertel. Or the creative Karmelitermarkt and Freibausviertel.
A year from now you will wish you had started today.Karen Lamb
A quote to think about.