Berlin is a city full of life, culture and history, with concerts, international film festivals, parties, fashion, popular sporting events and many other opportunities. Looking forward to a few events this year that I broke down by season and category. I am sure that this is just a glimpse, and surprises and spontaneous moments will appear during the year, but is a good idea to have a plan.
The year has a great start. Konzerthaus Berlin has a wonderful program, with New Year Concerts on the 1st and 3rd with First Night – Das Berliner Neujahrkonzert and 4th of January with Johann-Strauß-Neujahrgala.
Berlin Fashion Week is between 13th and 17th of January, including a sustainable fashion fair and collection presentations for the first time at Tempelhofer airport. The second fashion Week will be at the end of June.
Transmediale between 28th of January and 1st of February is an annual festival for art and digital culture. Venues include techno club Berghain (opening night), Embassy of Canada, HKW and Volksbühne Theatre.
Berlinale – The 70th Berlin International Film Festival (20 February- 1 March 2020) is very glamorous with many film screenings, but also a special gala, workshops and panels. Homage and Honorary Golden Bear 2020 will be offered to Oscar winner – Dame Helen Mirren. The main venue is Theater at Potsdamer Platz (Marlene-Dietrich Platz 1, 10785 Berlin).
Is only spring, but already we will have a lot to celebrate. The season brings warmer temperatures, the city is blooming and Berlin Travel Festival is scheduled in March.
Gallery Weekend Berlin in the first 3 days in May is a leading event for contemporary art
My favorite season will host the Carnival of Cultures, public viewing for Euro 2020 matches and open air events, including:
- Staatsoper Unter den Linden for all
- Many open-air movie nights at Volkspark Friedrichshain (largest open-air cinema), Cinema Kreuzberg (oldest in Berlin), Potsdamer Platz, “Island in Cassiopeia” and Berlin Mitte Kino Central
- Fête de la Musique concerts (21 June)
- Classic Open Air at Gendarmenmarkt (2 to 6 July).
August brings the Night of the Palaces in Potsdam (14 and 15 August) and the Long Night of Museum in Berlin (29 August).
Plus the perfect season for boat trips on river Spree.
I admired how the city is transformed every season, but autum was more noticeable and beautiful.
In the fall we will have an interesting mix of electronics and culture with:
- IFA Berlin – Consumer Electronics Fair (4-9 September)
- the US music festival Lollapalooza (5 and 6 September) at Olympiapark Berlin
- International Literature Festival (9-19 September)
- Berlin Art Week (September, no dates yet) in various locations and galleries in the city
- Heritage Day or Day of the Open Monument (12 and 13 September)
- beloved yearly “Festival of Lights” and “Berlin Illuminated”, both in October, were covered in a post last year
- Jazzfest Berlin
- European Month of Photography (1-31 October).
Besides Euro 2020 viewings, Bundesliga Hertha Berlin and Union Berlin matches, Berliner Half-Marathon is on April 5th.
The popular Berlin Marathon is scheduled on September 27th. Plus more runs to choose from, including B2Run at historic Olympic Stadium on July 30th.
Music & Shows
- I am looking forward to Berlin Berlin – The great show of the golden 20’s at Admiralspalast
- Vivid – Grand Show (revue show) is a must-see at Friedrichstraße-Palace
- Mamma Mia I saw in London and I am glad now they are on tour in Berlin at Stage Theatre des Westens
- Concerts highlights: Elton John, Lana Del Rey, Green Day, Rammstein or Iron Maiden (source berlin.de).
Berlin Biennale (held every two years) will transform locations in the city in galleries for contemporary art (13 June to 13 September 2020).
- Monet. Places at Barberini Museum, starting with February
- Pablo Picasso. Les Femmes d’Alger at The Berggruen Museum, from June
- Raphael in Berlin at Gemäldegalerie, from now until April 2020.
A wonderful time again
Lastly, starting with end of November and throughout December, Christmas markets and holiday lights can be admired on the streets of Berlin.
My friend Hedwig from Stuttgart wrote me in an email about an interesting expo from 5th of January at Kraftwerk Berlin called “Light Art Space” by Refik Anadols. I remembered Kulturbraurei has always interesting exhibitions, festivals and my type of Halloween or New Year parties. And than the idea for this research & post came.
My hope in 2020 is to invest more in photography and in creative writing. And to dance often. What is your plan?